The Midwest Automotive Parts & Service Association (MAPSA) is a non-profit trade association representing all aftermarket businesses. Members include automotive parts stores, warehouses, paint and body shop suppliers, repair service facilities, body shops, full-service stations, tire dealers, used parts suppliers, glass shops, manufacturers, manufacturers agents,and other related industries. The Midwest Automotive Parts & Service Association was more recently known as The Ohio Valley Automotive Aftermarket Association (OVAAA) from 1992-2013. The founding association was the Ohio Automotive Wholesalers Association (OAWA), which was formed in Ohio in 1957.

The Ohio Automotive Wholesalers Association was conceived on February 17, 1957 at the first joint Ohio Automotive Booster Clubs "Suitcase Show" held at the Southern Hotel in Columbus, Ohio.

Two of the "motivators" of an open meeting of attending wholesalers were Pete DeGreen, President of Cleveland Automotive Booster Club No. 16, and Maury Mayer, Executive Secretary of the Michigan Automotive Wholesalers Association.

As a result of the meeting, a Steering Committee of John Bakan, Doug Dowdney, Bill Hedges, John Metzger, and Tom Reynolds was chosen to draft a constitution and by-laws for the new organization.

Several meetings later, on April 7, 1957, a formal organizational meeting was held at the Neil House in Columbus at which a constitution and by-laws was adopted and the following members elected to the first Board of Directors:

The first officers of OAWA were:

President - Cecil J. Barber

Vice President - John M. Metzger

Treasurer - Thomas H. Reynolds

Secretary - Douglas F. Dowdney

The dinner speaker at this first official meeting of the Ohio Automotive Wholesalers Association was Woody Hayes, head football coach at the Ohio State University.

During its first year, OAWA investigated the possibility of adopting a group insurance program but its activities were limited because there were no staff members. However, on June 21, 1958, two candidates for the position of Executive Secretary were interviewed and Wm. L. Wodicka was hired to direct the activities of the association.

The first member service inaugurated by OAWA was a monthly Merchandise & Equipment Exchange Bulletin followed quickly by a Freight Bill Audit Service, Collection Service, Business Insurance coverage, and a Group Insurance Plan.

OAWA issued its first annual Yearbook in conjunction with the 2nd Annual OAWA Convention on April 18-19, 1959. There were 48 pages in our first Yearbook but over the years it has increased in size and importance to 104 pages in 1981 and 112 pages in 1996.

From the start, OAWA cooperated with the Boosters on an annual booth show, held in conjunction with the annual OAWA Convention. From a total of 50 booths at the first event, the show was expanded and improved each year to become the biggest and best attended state automotive wholesalers show in the country. The last show was held in 1990.

For the first few years, the OAWA office was in the basement of the Executive Director's home and there was only one full-time staff member. At present, the MAPSA office is located in an attractive, member-owned, office building with over 3000 sq. ft. of space.

In 1992 over 700 automotive jobbers in Ohio and West Virginia came together to form the Ohio Valley Automotive Aftermarket Association, based on the idea that the automotive aftermarket in the states of Ohio and West Virginia can better serve their own interests together than separately.

MAPSA is governed by a Board of Directors composed of 12 members. Four standing committees report to the Board of Directors. Coordinating the work of the Association is a staff headquartered in Hilliard, Ohio (a suburb of Columbus).

OAWA / OVAAA / MAPSA has over 55 years of success in representing its members. MAPSA has as its objectives a cooperative relationship between the various wholesalers, repair facilities, and manufacturers; and encourages it's members to adopt and practice high ethical business standards. MAPSA also helps develop and establish practical methods for the growth of the independent automotive businesses in it's region.